Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mp3 decoding block

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Mp3 decoding block
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:52:05 -0800

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:55:44AM +0200, Sebastiaan Heunis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need to write a Gnuradio application where I should be able to open
> an mp3, decode it and FM modulate it.  I do not find any blocks in
> Gnuradio that can do this.  The idea that I have is to write a C++
> block using libmad to decode the mp3 and then use SWIG to make it
> available in Gnuradio.  Is this correct or is there an easier way?
>
> Thank you
> Sebastiaan

Hi Sebastiaan,

Just use command line mp3 to samples converter, then plumb the output
of that into GNU Radio via a pipe or socket.  We currently don't have
a stereo FM modulator, but that shouldn't be too hard to write.  There
is a mono FM modulator, see blksimpl2/wfm_tx.py.  You'd imported it
like this:

  from gnuradio import blks2

  mod = blks2.wfm_tx(...)

Eric