[Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple top-level blocks

From: Eugene Grayver
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple top-level blocks
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:12:33 -0800

Hello,

Is there any documentation of the new C++ only gnuradio framework?  I'd like some insight into the philosophy behind it.  E.g. why can there only be one top level block?  Consider an example:

I have a transmitter and a receiver.  The two are completely independent.  Why can't each one be a gr_top_block?  I may want to stop one but not the other.

The tx and rx may have been designed by different people.  Why do I need another top level to combine the two?

The gr_top_block appears to separate the flow graph into independent subgraphs and runs each one in its own thread.  I wonder if this is always the desired behavior.  Consider two threads with different computational requirements.  One needs 90% the other 10% of the CPU.  The low rate thread should relinquish control if it has nothing to do.  However, that will not happen.  Instead, the scheduler will sit there and use up the entire time to check if the graph has unblocked.  Any ideas?

Thanks.
Eugene Grayver, Ph.D.
Aerospace Corp., Sr. Eng. Spec.
Tel: 310.336.1274