[Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_sink, dynamic range, and tx power, and more

From: benjar
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] usrp_sink, dynamic range, and tx power, and more
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 01:41:08 -0800 (PST)

Hey everybody,

I have some questions about the fundamentals of usrp_sink, and I am not
finding answers in the docs.  I am hoping one of you bright and supremely
knowledgeable individuals would be willing to help me out, or point me to
the right resources.

1) I am sending complex data to the usrp_sink with various magnitudes.  What
is the dynamic range of the usrp_sink?
2) Is there automatic gain control, or is the range fixed (i.e. not actually
dynamic)?
3) For example, I am sending a constant signal at 2.45Ghz with an amplitude
of 100, 1000, 10000, etc.  What determines the signal strength as a fraction
of the maximum power output coming out of the USRP?  How much does this
depend on the usrp_sink gain?
4) If I change the amplitude of the signal, does the output power scale
linearly with the amplitude?

Added bonus questions:
5) What is the frequency stability of the RFX2400.  If I am emitting a
constant tone, how many Hz can I expect it to wander?
6) I have 2 USRPs.  One is feeding data to usrp_fft.py, the other is
broadcasting a constant tone at 2.45Ghz.  When the signal is picked up by
the receiving USRP, the constant tone that is supposed to be at 2.45Ghz is
actually at 2.45Ghz + 10Khz.  Is this a horrible, horrible manufacturing
defect or is this within expected tolerances?
7) I have read on this list that ISM bandpass filter on the RFX2400 limits
output power of the RFX2400.  Is this true, and if so, how can I remove the
filter?

I would appreciate any help the group could give me on answering these
questions.

-Ben