RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Simultaneously transmitting on two transmitte

From: Sanmi
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: Simultaneously transmitting on two transmitters
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:37:52 -0600

Hi Wee Shinhan,

Short answer: The idea is feasible.

Long answer:
Using two USRP's is a little more complicated because of the same issue of
synchronization.

The first step is synchronization of the on-board clocks. The current
solution requires some hands-on work using directions here
->(http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/MultiUsrp). NOTE: This reversible
process disables one of the USRP board clocks and so the "slave" USRP can no
longer be used as a stand-alone board.

The next issue is synchronization of the actual waveforms in TX and RX. This
can be accomplished in two ways (that I know of):

1) Using the m-block/inband timestamps: Using M-blocks, you can define
timestamps that allow you to control when data is transmitted and
appropriately synchronize RX. The m-block/inband code is still in
development but is sufficiently stable to start some experiments. The
m-block code is all in c++ and does not use gr-flowgraphs so you might have
to build your application around it, or find some way to integrate m-blocks
into your flowgraphs (hint: SWIG). The m-block code can also be used for
many other functions (search the list for more details). Most of the code is
available in the trunk.

2) Custom FPGA code: the current gr-flowgraphs can already handle multiple
receivers(see http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/MultiUsrp for multi-USRP
description). There is no implemented TX parallel, but it is possible to
build a multi-TX FPGA and gr code using the same ideas.

So the multi board radios are possible, but it is not necessarily
straightforward to implement right now.

-Sanmi