[Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device

From: Eric A. Cottrell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] DV Dongle - AMBE USB Device
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:53:07 -0400

Hello,

One of the "problems" with DStar and some other digital voice systems is
the Patent and other IP considerations.  DStar uses the AMBE codec which
is owned by DVSI.  Icom uses a DVSI AMBE2020 chip in their DStar
products.  One possible solution is to buy hardware that puts the Patent
and IP into a chip.  This increases the cost of the hardware and you
need to interface it to the PC.

Some chip makers do not make chip information available, but DVSI does.
The USER Manual is very informative.
http://www.dvsinc.com/products/a2000.htm

A group was able to produce a USB Device that interfaces the AMBE2000
chip to the PC.  The icing on the cake is it is an open source project.
The API appears similar to the RF Space SDR products.
http://www.moetronix.com/dvdongle/

The DV Dongle is now in production and even has a website,
http://www.dvdongle.com/DV_Dongle/Home.html

So I ordered one for $200 from HRO and hope to get it in a few days.  It
should be possible to add support for it in GNURadio.  I am also
thinking of writing a APCO P25 Voice to AMBE2000 frame converter and see
if the device can decode P25 as well.  This may be a general IMBE and
AMBE codec.

73 Eric