Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel measurements?

From: Mohammad Hamed Firooz
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Channel measurements?
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 14:02:17 -0600

  Hi
Johnathan is right, If you fulfill the channel measurement in software your temporal resolution is not sufficient and you may not be able to resolve lots of paths specially for indoor applications. For more information I can refer you to Rappaport's book "Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice (2nd Edition)". If you want to have a channel sounder you have to implement the correlation part inside the FPGA. Actually we are working on that. I have implement a channel sounder which works using 802.11b packets. As you may know 802.11b use DSSS in its physical layer. We implement the de-spreading part inside the FPGA. (you can find the 802.11b receiver here: http://span.ece.utah.edu/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.80211bReceiver)

Thanks to that now we have a channel sounder with the resolution of 30ns which is fine for indoor measurements. We plan to published it on the web in the next two weeks after doing the last testing and debuging. But if anyone is interested s/he can contact me to send her/him the code.

regards,
hamed