Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio and USRP baseband demodulation/decoding

From: Einar Thorsrud
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio and USRP baseband demodulation/decoding
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:59:55 +0100

Johnathan Corgan wrote:

Carrier recovery/synchronization can be done with a Costas loop,
which will track out any residual carrier resulting from not being
tuned to exactly the center frequency of your passband.  For symbol
timing, there is a resampling block implementing the Muller and
Muller algorithm.  This will track the "center of the bit" and
fractionally resample to 1 sample per symbol.  This is a common
enough combination that there is a combined block to do both with
less CPU consumption and better SNR (gr.mpsk_receiver_cc).

I have been studying digital-bert example files, and will try to do
something similar. However I have a follow up questions.

How will the synchronization and carrier recovery function on my
baseband signal as there really is no carrier left after the down
conversion? My specific signal is down converted from 5.8 GHz to
baseband from an RF front end, which is not controlled by GNU Radio at
all. Would the blocks you mentioned function with the baseband signal if
the center frequency is specified to be 0 Hz?

Welcome to GNU Radio!

Thank you! :)

--
Einar Thorsrud