[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [dttsp-linux] Intel ATOM WHOOAAAAA Nellie

From: Gregory Maxwell
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [dttsp-linux] Intel ATOM WHOOAAAAA Nellie
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 00:44:18 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:36 AM, Frank Brickle <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]
> Short form: for dttsp-linux and general RF hardware, the Atom 330 is
> unquestionably the more utilitarian alternative. This is especially so when,
> given Nvidia's history regarding Open drivers, Linux support for ION is very
> uncertain in the near term (6-9 months).

Nvidia video is a pretty poor choice for Linux too— you're tied to
their proprietary drivers which often cause weird bugs (usually the #1
cause of kernel panics on the kernelopps data collection project,
right ahead of a proprietary wifi driver), and that driver ties you to
whatever kernel and xorg versions they are willing to support.

I'm not sure why the Intel video would be a problem for SDR apps. The
Intel video in my laptop is great, though perhaps the atom has
something more limited.