[Discuss-gnuradio] Re: help for peak detector

From: feldmaus
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: help for peak detector
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 13:17:05 +0000 (UTC)

Markus Feldmann <feldmann_markus <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Therefore i have some questions:
> To 2.) What allowed values for <Look Ahead> ?
>         And what does this mean ? Which unit ?
>         What is Alpha, and which are allowed values ?
>         If the peak detector gets a peak, what does it spit
>         out ?
>         Which are the allowed values for <TH Factor Rise/Fall>,
>         is this in db or a linear factor ?

I studied some of the theory to the EWMA(exponentially weighted moving average),
so i think the <Look Ahead> can be easily deactivated by setting this to 0.
As i understand, the <Look Ahead> tries to wait until <n> inputs from the
future are done and take this into the computing of the average ?

Because the description of the Peak Detector talks about <factor> i think the
<TH Factor Rise/Fall> is a factor meaningfully greater than <1.0> ?
The alpha seems to weight the input values, which are be computed for the
average, but i think it also results in a average computing of a longer time ?
The alpha should be meaningfully  0 < alpha <= 1.0 .
Is this correct ?

A other Problem is that the Peak Detektor freezes the graphical elements,
but i don't get any overrun/underrun.
I have got a decimation of 256 and a sample_rate of 250k.
Are there known Problems with the Peak Detector ?

Regards Markus