Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Single-tone test using USRP2 with RFX2400 and XCV

From: Matt Ettus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Single-tone test using USRP2 with RFX2400 and XCVR2450
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:00:22 -0700

Yongsang Kim wrote:
Hi, all.

I did single-tone test using USRP2 with RFX2400 and XCVR2450.
There are some undesired signals in the results.

My single-tone test is as follows:
- Wired connection between USRP2 and Spectrum analyzer
- Single-tone is transmitted from USRP2 using the following commands
   ./usrp2_siggen.py -f xxxx
   ./usrp2_siggen.py -f xxxx -w xxxx
- For daughter board, RFX2400, XCVR2450 and Basic TX are tested
- Newest GNU radio and firmware
- PC specification (I'm pretty sure that the spec is good enough to
transmit single-tone stably)
   -- CPU: Intel core2quad processor Q9550
   -- Ethernet card: Intel 82567LM Gigabit LAN (PCI express slot)
   -- Memory: 4GB DDR2 800 MHz SDRAM memory

Except the case of Basic TX, there are some undesired signals in the
results.
So, I guess the undesired signals are generated by RFX2400 and XCVR2450,
not by mother board.
I'm afraid that the undesired signals cause some kind of distortion of
desired signal.
(In fact, when I transmit OFDM signal using XCVR2450, I fail to
demodulate the received OFDM signal)

The resulting spectrum figures are shown in the following link and I
marked
the undesired signals in the figures.

What you are seeing are normal transmitter non-idealities, including DC offset (aka carrier feedthrough), and IQ imbalance (aka sideband suppression. These can be improved through tuning, but they are not bad as is. Also, on the XCVR you are seeing the phase noise skirts as well.

Matt

http://141.223.23.5/Spectrum.zip

Short descriptions for each figures are as follows:

1. File name: RFX2400_2p375GHz_01
   Used daughter board: RFX2400
   GNU radio command: ./usrp2_siggen.py -f 2.375e9

2. File name: RFX2400_2p375GHz_02
   Used daughter board: RFX2400
   GNU radio command: ./usrp2_siggen.py -f 2.375e9 -w 2M

3. File name: XCVR2450_2p52GHz_01
   Used daughter board: XCVR2450
   GNU radio command: ./usrp2_siggen.py -f 2.52e9

4. File name: XCVR2450_2p52GHz_02
   Used daughter board: XCVR2450
   GNU radio command: ./usrp2_siggen.py -f 2.52e9 -w 2M

5. File name: BasicTX_30MHz_01
   Used daughter board: Basic TX
   GNU radio command: ./usrp2_siggen.py -f 30e6

6. File name: BasicTX_30MHz_02
   Used daughter board: Basic TX
   GNU radio command: ./usrp2_siggen.py -f 30e6 -w 2M

I would appreciate that if somebody let me know what is problem of my
daughter boards or my test.
Thanks.