Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FX2 firmware

From: Dominik Auras
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FX2 firmware
Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 08:33:53 +0200

Hi!

Hmmm.  My application is RX-only.   Using 8-bit samples, that 45Mb/s
gives about 20Msps.    I have a QX9770 system running
  at 3.7GHz, but *still* get overruns at two channels, 8Msps per
(complex) channel.  I also get overruns at 16Msps, single-channel.
You mean, your system doesn't even sustain 32 Mb/s?

At 8Msps dual-channel, my application (an all-mode radio astronomy
receiver system) burns up about 2.75CPU on the above-mentioned
  address@hidden (with slower memory that will get upgraded soon!).   I
get overruns a couple of times per minute with this
  setup.
Could be a problem of your CPU, too. In our lab, our eightcore machine has overruns, while my notebook with a core 2 duo does not. I have figured out that this is because of multiprocessor communication, the eight cores are composed of two quadcore processors, which are themself two dualcores on one die. Restricting the scheduler (taskset 0x11 app) to two cores which reside in the same dual core, it was fine, no overrun. Adding one core, whatever location, and there were overruns. However, before noticing this fact, I had already turned down cpu usage of that specific app (the transmitter) down to two cores by aggressive optimization.

What type of system are you getting reliable 45Mb/s receive throughput
on, and how complicated is your signal processing
  flowgraph?
C2D E6750, 4 Gb RAM, ICH9 USB Controller
I am using test_usrp_standard_rx, no signal processing.

Dominik