[Discuss-gnuradio] gr.file_descriptor_* and close()

From: Martin Braun
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr.file_descriptor_* and close()
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:13:22 +0200

Hi,

it's just a nitpick, really, but I'd like to vote for chucking out the
close() calls in gr.file_descriptor_{sink,source} (in the destructors).

I've been working with these blocks for talking across pipes, and I
constantly run into warnings because files get closed when I don't want
them to. So far, it hasn't caused any errors, but the reason my code
gets confused is because when I use a named pipe, I have to open it in
one thread and pass the fileno to the GR block. The block, however,
closes the file on destruction, leaving a dangling file ID in the
calling thread.

As I said, it's nothing that can't be caught, but I'd prefer it if the
open() and close() calls happened in the same scope and thread - I've
patched my own copy accordingly and find it much easier to use. As far
as I can tell, no code in the trunk would be affected.

MB
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Braun           Phone: +49-(0)721-608 3790
Institut fuer Nachrichtentechnik  Fax:   +49-(0)721-608 6071