[Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended PC Hardware for Performance

From: Tom Lutz
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Recommended PC Hardware for Performance
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:26:18 -0400

This may be a somewhat banal question, but what would be the optimal
hardware/software configuration needed to leverage the power of
gnuradio?

Core i7 versus Core2 Duo versus Other (maybe cell)?
64-bit Linux versus 32?
Any hardware acceleration/DSP cards?
Amount/type of RAM?

While running some flow graphs on an older machine, I found that I had
designed one of my low pass filters too tightly.  The large number of
taps in the FIR consumed all the processing power available, and
starved the USRP for data.

Is there a way to notify the user when a flow graph begins to fail or
fails intermittently?

Thanks!
Tom