Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upcoming changes in the development trunk

From: Martin DvH
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Upcoming changes in the development trunk
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 16:35:46 +0200

On Wed, 2009-05-27 at 06:44 -0700, Johnathan Corgan wrote:

> In no particular order of time or importance, these are among some of
> the changes planned for the development trunk and 3.3 release that may
> affect you:
>
> * Elimination of the single-threaded flowgraph scheduler.  The
> "thread-per-block" scheduler is already the default in 3.2.  While this
> won't require any code changes, if you've been manually selecting the
> STS via the environment, you won't be able to do this anymore.

Is it really neccesary to remove this?
I need the single-threaded-scheduler for my GPGPU code. (Running
gnuradio on a videocard)
When doing doing calculations on en external device, you really need to
be in control of on which CPU/thread which block is running.
In practice you need to run everything that runs on the external device
from a single host thread.
The external device is running hundreds of threads and gnuradio only
needs a single thread to control the external device and move data
between the host and external device.
I have been waited with developing the GPGPU code further until the
changes in the scheduling code stabelizes. (At the moment the gpgpu
branche is incompatible with the most recent trunk)
My version of the scheduler is a modified single-threaded scheduler.
So I don't neccesaraly need to keep the current single-threaded
scheduler, but I do need the possibility to choose which scheduler to
use.

> * Migration of blks2 into C++.  This has been a place to hold
> hierarchical blocks constructed in Python.  Many of these blocks will be
> reimplemented as C++ API hierarchical blocks, and re-exported into
> Python as part of the core 'gr' namespace.  This will done where
> possible without syntax changes needed in your Python code other than
> the namespace to import from.
Will it be still possible to build your own python hierarchical blocks and
install them somewhere.?

Martin