Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Some development questions

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Some development questions
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:15:34 -0400

On Jul 1, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Jonathan Coveney wrote:
For a school project, I'd like to help GNU radio out in some way (I'm
developing in OSX). 1) What is the barrier to getting a gnuradio ports command? Is it simply that there is not someone to do it, or something more? I feel it'd be really nice if you could just do "sudo ports install gnuradio"

If I were interested in GNU Radio on MacPorts, I'd check their ticket repository to see if anyone were already working on it. I'd probably start with Google < http://www.google.com/ > and "macports gnuradio"; if that didn't work (or, even it if did), I'd go to the MacPorts Trac < http://trac.macports.org/ > and search for 'gnuradio'.

Doing either of these simple tasks, you'll find two tickets of interest (10858 and 18104), and a variety of files associated with the latter ticket < http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18104 >. One of those files is a tarball that was submitted about 5 weeks ago with the Portfiles needed to support GNU Radio 3.2 on MacPorts, including (as you've written) a meta-port installer for "gnuradio" as well as all individual components that can be compiled on OSX 10.4 or 10.5 from the 3.2 tarball release (which, btw, does not include the qtgui). I do not know when the MacPorts folks will get around to including these Portfiles in their dports' tree (that which is updated via 'sudo port sync'); I do know that the Portfiles work for me and all of the beta testers, using both OSX 10.4 and 10.5.

I hope that answers your questions on this item; yes, I am being a bit snarky.

I'll let someone else address the other item. - MLD