[Discuss-gnuradio] Amplitude variations inn FFT sink

From: eivim
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Amplitude variations inn FFT sink
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:33:51 +0200

Hi all

I'm trying to use the USRP1 as a beacon receiver i.e. measure the amplitude and frequency of a signal then store the detected values to file. I'm using the DBSRX daughter board to measure satellite beacons.

However I have ran into some problems. When viewing the FFT plot from USRP_FFT.py I can see amplitude variations of up to several dB when using a highly stable frequency generator. The amplitude variations seem to increase with decreasing input power i.e lower C/N. Even with the averaging function turned on the fluctuations are noticeable at about 10 dB C/N.

My question is therefore: What is causing this ? And is there a way to avoid or reduce this effect ?

I have already tried to reduce bin size an added FIR filter to the USRP_FFT.

Thanks in advance.

Eivind