[Discuss-gnuradio] Sound input using mic / line in problem

From: Karthik Vijayraghavan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Sound input using mic / line in problem
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 11:56:03 -0700

I am trying to run the audio_to_file.py example file to capture some audio signals. I plan to  feed some slowly changing voltage signals through my mic/line in audio input and use those along with the USRP signals (after doing the necessary fractional resampling). I tried running the example with the following options

./audio_to_file.py -I plughw:0,0 test.dat

The output says, "audio: using audio_alsa" and the program does nothing else. Pressing Ctrl-C doesn't terminate the program and I have to use "pkill python" to kill it. The file size of test.dat remains at 0 bytes. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and gnuradio r10529. gnuradio was built with gr-audio-alsa, gr-audio-oss and gr-audio-jack. The sound module being used is snd_hda_intel.

I also tried to use oss by changing audio_module = audio_oss in ~/.gnuradio/config.conf and end up getting the following error. The error remains the same regardless of using plughw:0,0 and hw:0,0

audio: using audio_oss
audio_oss_source: plughw:0,0: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./audio_to_file.py", line 61, in <module>
    my_top_block().run()
  File "./audio_to_file.py", line 49, in __init__
    src = "" (sample_rate, options.audio_input)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/audio_oss.py", line 299, in source
    return _audio_oss.source(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: audio_oss_source

Any ideas of what might be going on?

Thanks,
Karthik