[Discuss-gnuradio] very bizarre antenna function

From: Jonathan Coveney
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] very bizarre antenna function
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:01:40 -0400

So with MUCH ado, ./usrp_wfm_rcv.py WORKS!

right now 10dB/div for both settings, and my station is 98.7M.

Now here is the weird part... I get an absolutely crystal clear signal if I put my hand near the antenna. Like an inch away!

I can also put the antenna such that it is near my fan or something, and it works fine.

Why would this be? I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants when it comes to attaching the antenna (it's just your basic black hinged one). Are there any instructions or diagrams that show how it should be attached and positioned? And why would placing it near things help some come clearer? Very confusing! Ideally, I want to be able to pick up any station that a normal radio could so I can use usrp_spectrum_sense and whatnot.

Your help is appreciated. You have no idea how excited I was when radio came over my computer... to paraphrase an article, "congratulations, you just turned thousands of dollars of equipment into something that you can buy for 5 dollars."