Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Latency measurement using GnuRadio

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Latency measurement using GnuRadio
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:39:28 -0400

The short answer is, because our customers require it!

The longer answer is that these are strictly low-earth-orbit
spacecraft, communicating through a relay in geosync.  So,
the round-trip time is dominated by the round-trip time to
geosync, which is around 250 mS.  The new modems include all
sorts of fancy signal processing, including LDPC error correction
and direct-sequence spread spectrum.  So their processing time
could easily become significant.

The whole system has an overall latency budget, and a portion of
it is allocated to the modems.  They're being built out-of-house,
so we need to be able to verify their performance when we do
acceptance testing.

address@hidden wrote:
OK, so I'm being a smartass, but why do you care about latency on a path whose
path length may be anywhere from a few 10s of milliseconds, to
  several hours?