RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB latency problem

From: Newman, Timothy
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] USB latency problem
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:45:08 -0400

It totally depends on where you implement the latency sensitive components.  I
believe the best USB can do is a minimum of 100us, and that probably the
theoretical minimum.  If you need 80-120 us latency, you will definitely need
to move the latency sensitive components to the FPGA.

Here are a couple more references related to latency in GNUradio and the USRP:
G. Nychis, T. Hottelier, Z. Yang, S. Seshan, P. Steenkiste, "Enabling MAC
Protocol Implementations on Software-Defined Radios", NDIS 2009
K. Tan, J. Zhang, J. Fang, H. Liu, Y. Ye, S. Wang, Y. Zhang, H. Wu, W. Wang, G.
Voelker, "Sora: High Performance Software Radio using General Purpose
Multi-core Processors"

Tim

Timothy R. Newman, Ph.D.
Wireless @ Virginia Tech