Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] another newbie question

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] another newbie question
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:27:17 -0700

1) make sure to run the apt-get install command under the jaunty section
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall

2) now you can run these commands (you may need to install git)

git clone http://gnuradio.org/git/gnuradio.git
cd gnuradio
./bootstrap
./configure
make
sudo make install

3) things probably work now, if they dont, see some of that post install stuff on the ubuntuinstall page

Do I get gnuradio up and running by building it from scratch using grc or do
I have to do the following:

you get grc up and running by building gnuradio, not the other way around

I am concerned that if I do the ./bootstrap, etc, I am going to be creating
problems. (I have re-installed Ubunu several times in order to clean up the
problems I had created by my trial and error method of learning.)

you cant really do any damage to your system until the make install part, and even then, all the installed files are encapsulated in a few folders, and you can always run sudo make uninstall

I have spent several hours trying to find info on the web and gnuradio web
site but haven't been able to find something that is simple enough for me to
follow.

http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall

I am a user of HPSDR and have PowerSDR up and running, but gnuradio appears
not to be as simple to install and run.

true that

-Josh