Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_unpack_k_bits_bb, its inverse, and higher orde

From: Mattias Kjellsson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr_unpack_k_bits_bb, its inverse, and higher order constellations
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 16:28:37 +0100

Eric Blossom wrote:
> I assume that you mean 1 byte per symbol.
> I suggest that you create *_ci and *_ii versions that handle 32-bits.
>
> Eric
You are correct, one byte per symbol. Or one symbol per byte, whichever
way one wants to look at it.
To clarify what the custom block does is that it takes K bytes with 1
significant bit (in lsb, from a glfsr or similar) and turns it into 1
byte with K significant bits. Then it's just to feed these new, "packed"
(is this the word for it?), bytes into the chunks_to_symbols_bc- block,
producing one symbol for every byte.

Is this really stupid, or has it just not been done yet? I assume that
there are more people working with more signal- points than two in their
constellations. But at the same time it seems like I'm wasting a lot of
resources on copying bytes with only two or three (qpsk, qam16)
significant bits in them...

//Mattias