Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP synchronization

From: ValentinG
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP synchronization
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:39:34 -0800 (PST)

Thanks a lot for the answers!

Yes all of our boards are USRP2s.

We do have a common PPS signal provided by the external signal generator. We
use code from the VRT branch and call set_time_at_next_pps for all 4 boards
to reset their times. Then we call start streaming for all 4 boards some
seconds later. This as we understand ensures the alignment of the samples
received.

We use RFX2400 daughterboards.

There are a few other questions we wanted to ask:

1.) We observe a phase shift between MB clocks on different USRP2
MotherBoards which changes each time the USRP2 is reset. Is there a finite
number of possibilities for that phase difference due to its PLL? How many
are there?
2.) Does the PLL on the daughterboards uses the clock, generated on the MBs
as a reference to lock the VCO signal used for downconversion? Or does it
use the external 10MHz clock as the reference?
3.) If there is a finite number for the phase differences (N) between MB
clocks and these are used to produce the down-converter signal, which can
also have a finite number of phase differences (M), this would imply that we
can have NxM different phases, correct?

4.) Do the PLL's on the daugherboard tune every time a C++ or Python program
is run or every time the board is powered on? i.e. for phased arrays will we
just need to calibrate every time the board is powered on or every time we
take a given stream of data?
5.) How can we change the number of possible phases for the daughterboard?
6.) Does reducing this number increase lock time?
7.) How can we tune so there is no ambiguity in the phase of the boards like
you suggested?

Thanks,
Valentin