Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-howto-write-a-block refactored

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-howto-write-a-block refactored
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:57:06 -0400

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:56, Martin Braun <address@hidden> wrote:

> while this makes some things easier, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be
> nice to keep the Python modules in some kind of GR-specific namespace.
>
> Take the howto example: imagine a new user tries to install it just to see
> what happens. It's not completely unreasonable that another piece of
> software would have a Python module called 'howto', which might result
> in collisions. The same goes for other modules (I've written one called
> 'specest', this could be anything related to spectral estimation, the
> name doesn't imply any GNU Radio).

Locally compiled GNU Radio is installed into /usr/local/lib.  So user
compiled modules can extend the gnuradio namespace in Python by also
installing in /usr/local/lib/.../gnuradio/.  However, binary
installations of GNU Radio are becoming more and more frequent, and
install into /usr/lib.  The filesystem hierarchy standard requires all
locally compiled software to be in /usr/local, so it was not possible
to install the howto module with a binary install of GNU Radio.

This change to the out-of-tree configuration Eric noted fixes this.
While I see your point about global namespace conflicts, this would
only really be with other locally compiled packages in /usr/local.

Johnathan