Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Under Flow

From: Philip Balister
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP Under Flow
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:22:12 -0400

On 03/16/2010 06:51 AM, halidziya yerebakan wrote:
Hi all;

        Thanks to Mr. Balister I run USRP on BeagleBoard (
http://www.opensdr.com/node/17) . But it doesn't give any sound when I try
to listen FM radio. I think there is some mismatch in sampling rates or data
format. I read other mail list archives but they didn't solve my problem.
Here is my console :

address@hidden:/usr/share/gnuradio/examples/usrp# ./usrp_wfm_rcv_nogui.py
Using RX d'board A: Basic Rx
gr_fir_fff: using cortex_a8
Freq: 100.1M  Volume:0.100000  Setting:FREQ
OK
aUaUaUaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaUaUaUuOaUaUaU

(No Sound Here goes like this )

Run oprofile, find the code that takes all the time, optimize using NEON, repeat :)

The sample rate conversions will be the CPU hogs for this waveform. It looks like you are using an optimized fir filter already, but work through the sample rates at each step. It is possible the audio out is doing another rate conversion. Also, the gnuradio block may create a very long fir filter, you can adjust the filter design settings to reduce the number of taps.

It will work, but you do not have many GHz of cpu to cover up in-efficient design decisions :)

Philip