[Discuss-gnuradio] Overruns (SSS...) when writting samples in a file

From: Damien Serant
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Overruns (SSS...) when writting samples in a file
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:38:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to write samples acquired with the couple USRP2-WBX directly on
the hard disk thanks to the file sink. I'm using GRC and the decim factor is
set to 10 (idealy i need a factor 3). Unfortunately the program overruns
(SSSS... on the terminal) that it seems normal to me considering the limited
write speed of an hard drive.
I'm looking for some "tricks" to be able to write at this sample rate. I
found a previous similar message in the mailing list but i have some
additional questions.
1) Instead of write complex floats directly on the disk can i make this :
USRP2 source in short mode -> type conversion : short in char -> writing on
the disk with file_sink in char mode?
2) I read that it was possible to write directly on the RAM with the unix
command tmpfs. Any description of the procedure ?
3) Other tricks or advice ?

Thanks in advance at all
Damien (a french Phd student)