Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bit rate of the random source

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bit rate of the random source
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 14:42:09 -0700

The bit-rate or sample-rate is determined by the first block in the flow graph that conceptually treats the stream as having a "rate".

The signal source block outputs periodic signals so it must have the concept of a sample rate. However, a random source, noise source, or a constant source does not.

If you were to connect the output of the random source to a scope or fft display, the display would need to know the sample rate in order to scale its axis. And therefore the concept of bit-rate or sample-rate becomes defined by the parameters of the graphical display.

-Josh