Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Open .DAT files generated by OFDM Module

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Open .DAT files generated by OFDM Module
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:26:53 -0400

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Chris_Spain <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to open the .DAT files that are generated by OFDM Module with
> option --log but I can't. I have tried with cat, vim, vi, jeditor(with hex
> plugins), open office. With excel and notepad open the archive but only with
> ascii characters but I need to see the result of modulation.
>
> Cheers

Files are stored in binary format. You need to open it as such. There
are some utilities that are in gr-utils/src/python that can be used
for quick plotting (gr_plot_*.py). They use the Scipy fromfile command
to read the samples and plot them with Matplotlib, which you can use
to do your own work.

In the ofdm examples directory, there is a file gr_plot_ofdm.py that
will plot the output of --log in a way that we've found useful. You'll
need Scipy and Matplotlib installed.

Tom