[Discuss-gnuradio] Interfacing Spartan-3AN FPGA starter kit with BasicRX

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Interfacing Spartan-3AN FPGA starter kit with BasicRX
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:15:22 +0400

Hi,
        I have a Xilinx Spartan-3AN FPGA starter kit and I would like to
interface it with a BasicRX.

It has a

- 2 channel SPI-based ADC with programmable gain,
- 4 channel SPI-based DAC

Page 75 of the user manual describes the Analog capture circuit -
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug334.pdf.

The starter kit has an onboard ADC circuit with a LinearTech 14-bit 3Msps ADC.
http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/14071fb.pdf

Would this onboard ADC be sufficient to implement an FM Radio receiver with GNU
Radio? I've already taken a look at the USRP2 + BasicRX combo, but I would like
to know if I can somehow use the Spartan-3AN startket kit to achieve the same
results.

Best regards,

Elvis