[Discuss-gnuradio] FFT filters--still a problem with filter growth

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] FFT filters--still a problem with filter growth
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:56:04 -0400

I thought the problem with FFT filters growing after initial construction was gone in recent Gnu Radio,
  but it's back.

I'm running the latest "next" branch, along with UHD.

Create an FFT filter of length X. If the filter coefficients change at run time and the resulting length is longer than the initial X, the flow-graph seems to wedge (the previous failure mode for this
  caused it to dump core).

If I change my code so that the initial filter size is as big as it will ever need to be, I don't get any
  problems.

I have a tap generator for the FFT filter that produces filters whose lengths are powers of 2, to hopefully improve performance. But if the initial filter is (let's say) length 4096, and then dynamically changed to 8192 or 16384, etc, then the flow-graph seems to wedge.