Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tesla C2000 series and CUDA and Gnu Radio

From: Thomas Hobiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Tesla C2000 series and CUDA and Gnu Radio
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 09:00:13 +0900

Hi Marcus,

Actually we are doing all our processing on the GPU. We use GNURADIO to bring in the data and then run everything on the GPU and only copy back the results. As you wrote in your mail CPU-GPU resp. GPU-CPU copies can be bottlenecks and should be avoided or reduced whenever possible. With the current blocks it only makes sense to utilize the GPU if ALL blocks are also available for the GPU. E.g. if you do a cross-correlation (as we do) it does not make sense to do the FFTs on the GPU, but do the complex multiplication on the CPU as there is a data-transfer GPU-CPU-GPU before you can run the IFFTs. For us the GPU is the device which enables our application to run in real-time, which we could hardly achieve with the CPU. But getting the GPU into GNURADIO is another story, I guess...

Regards,
  Thomas