Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel programming

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Parallel programming
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 14:20:49 -0500

I don't think there's much specialized info "out there" on this topic, since
it's relatively standard programming; experience and knowledge are your best
guides!  That said, there are some excellent books on parallel algorithms and
programming out there.  Some of my favorites include (in no particular order):

"Task Scheduling for Parallel Systems" by Oliver Sinnen
"Parallel Algorithms" by Casanova, Legrand, and Robert
"The Art of Multiprocessor Programming" by Herlihy and Shavit
"Fundamentals of Sequential and Parallel Algorithms" by Berman and Paul
"Algorithms Sequential & Parallel, a Unified Approach" by Miller and Boxer

I'm also reading through and playing with the OpenCL 1.1 spec & OSX 10.6
library right now.  Pretty cool stuff, though the documentation is a bit dry.
I do wonder on the portability of the code ... supposed to be quite cross-OS
compatible (Windows, Linux, OSX 10.6+, various other UNIX-y flavors) but that
can be quite challenging.

Depending on the type of feedback you require, you might be able to use a
standard flow-graph.  There are 2 primary types of feedback in a flow-graph
system: data feedback and non-data feedback.  One can specialize the latter
into control, block settings, and other types.

GNU Radio will not let you do data-feedback with data that is controlled by the
scheduler -- meaning you cannot "connect" the data-flow output of block (A) to
the data-flow input of any block that is before block (A) in the flow-graph
(there are technical terms in Graph Theory for all of this; hopefully what I
wrote is clear enough).  Although in theory one -could- do in-flow-graph
data-feedback, it is not done in practice because this sort of feedback is
generally done as a single item or just a few items -- which would be very
inefficient in terms of overhead versus actual number of computations.

On the other hand, if what your block is doing is feeding back just filter
coefficients (a type of non-data feedback), then you -might- be able to use
either direct setting, or even better a msg_queue, between distinct blocks.
I've never done either, but I don't see why they couldn't be made to work
(anyone?).

For the former, you'd pass your block a reference to the prior block's method
for setting filter coefficients (or, maybe, just the block itself depending on
your programming style); for the latter, you'd pass in the msg_queue to your
block to use & in the prior block you'd need to add in handling the msg_queue.
You'd need to set default values somewhere since your block won't otherwise set
those coefficients until after the prior block has already processed some data.
 I think to make this case work you'd just have to be careful that no matter
how the coefficients are set, that your block cannot generate coefficients that
make the flow-graph "unstable" (whatever that might mean in this case).  I'd
say that if your block works right now then this is probably the case, but it
is possible to mess things up because there will be an added delay due to
letting GNU Radio handle moving data around.  I'm sure someone can apply some
discrete-time control theory here ;)

If what you are concerned with is the number of filters you're using quickly
saturating your CPU, you'll probably want to look into the new Volk library
and/or maybe using a GPU since both offer speed-ups depending on just how much
computation needs to be performed & either can be more efficient than using
generic FIR filter programmed for a CPU.

Anyway, and again, without knowing what your block actually does nor details of
your flow-graph, that's about as much as I can comment.