Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Baseband vs. Carrier freq.

From: John Andrews
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Baseband vs. Carrier freq.
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:50:40 -0600

I suggest you to first look into the USRP documentation available on gnuradio website. In it you will learn how a USRP upcoverts and downconverts a signal. In gnuradio we always deal with baseband signals i.e. the signal reaching your computer from the usrp or the signal entering the usrp from the computer is always a baseband signal.

To know more about the signal that is in the air you have to find yourself a good book on communication systems. If you are new to Signals, RF communications etc then Communication Systems by Simon Haykin is a very good start. To understand more about upconversion/downcoversion and other digital signal processing then get yourself "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" by Rick Lyons but first download the pdf of the USRP documentation and read the first 15 pages. In that the author Firas explains how the USRP works in a simple way.

Before, you start playing around with GRC by making your own flowgraph start with benchmark_tx.py/benchmark_rx.py examples. These are like the "hello world" of "digital communications using gnuradio/usrp".

There is a GRC example for bpsk in the GRC examples folder. Check that out too.
--

John