Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The (in)famous channel 0 not receiving error

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] The (in)famous channel 0 not receiving error
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 13:15:11 -0500

Hi everyone,

I recently compiled and installed gnuradio.

I then tried to find the usrp2:

#find_usrps
00:50:c2:85::3b:5c hw_rev = 0x0400

Next I tried to plot an FFT of the GPS L1 signal (note that my daughterboard is a dbsrx2)

#usrp2_fft.py -f 1.57542G
usrp2: channel 0 not receiving
usrp2::rx_samples() fail

Where am I going wrong? I have seen other posts with people facing the same problem but they are from way back in mid-2010 and with different daughterboards from mine.

Additional information:
- daughterboard is a dbsrx2
- usrp2 was ordered sometime in October 2010
- I have the uhd driver installed but figured that it can exist with the "usual" Ethernet driver
- Are there any firmware and/or fpga upgrades I am supposed to make?

Nick
_______________________________________________ Discuss-gnuradio mailing list address@hidden http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss-gnuradio
When you go to UHD, you have to change the firmware on the USRP2, which is available here:

http://www.ettus.com/downloads/uhd_images/

Further, the UHD provides a different API than "classic", and usrp2_fft.py uses the "classic" API.

You can synthesize the functionality of usrp2_fft.py, using an UHD source, within Gnuradio Companion,
  in about five minutes.

With the DBS_RX2, you have no choice but to convert to UHD (or back-port the DBS_RX2 support into
  the "classic" USRP2 interface).

All new hardware from Ettus will only be supported using the UHD interface, and UHD is now robust enough
  that I recommend *all* new users use it.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator