[Discuss-gnuradio] Open Source USRP ?

From: Moeller
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Open Source USRP ?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:20:33 +0100

>From the product brochure:

"The entire USRP design is open source, including schematics,
firmware, drivers, and even the FPGA and daughterboard designs.
When combined with the open source GNU Radio software, you
get a completely open software radio system enabling host-based
signal processing on commodity platforms. No software or licenses
need to be purchased. It provides a complete development
environment to create your own radios."

No I wonder, how open is the design? The schematics are published.
Is it a bit like GNU open source?  Can somebody create EDA files
from the schematics, publish them, modify the source, republish,
produce own PCB and share the design with other people?
Is it a free design, in the sense of "free speech", not "free beer"
(the motto of GNU software) ?

I had the idea to reduce the complexity of USRP1 by omitting the 2nd
channel (so only 1 TX/RX) and integrate a broadband RF tuner on a single board.
This would require the freedom to modify the design and share the cost
of PCB production. Just for a single PCB it would be too expensive.