[Discuss-gnuradio] Building an RF Front end for DSP FPGA Kits with ADCs

From: sirjanselot
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building an RF Front end for DSP FPGA Kits with ADCs
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:46:03 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am looking to buy an Altera DSP FPGA Kit (DSP Development Kit, Stratix III
Edition) for school research but I'm not sure how i am going to build an
RF-Front End for it.  I am looking to receive signals up to +30 dBm from 30
MHz - 2 GHz with bandwidths up to 50 MHz.

This kit comes with two 150 MSPS 14-bit ADCs and 250 MSPS 14-bit DACs.  My
question is it possible to buy a Commercial off the Shelf Front-End that
provides the necessary inputs?

Is there something special that I have to do in order to receive signal
levels up to +30 dBm so that my ADCs do not saturate?

My goal would be to build it myself, but if I am pressed with deadlines I
will have to get COTS product.