Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option, the "total GNUsolut

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] re: Low cost hardware option, the "total GNUsolution"
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 18:46:51 -0500

Hi All,

I've been following the (lowcost) GNU SDR HW development in progress since it started. I sure do not oppose to what you are doing and hope you succeed, but is it practical today?

Practicality is a very important aspect of any project like this, and it's one that needs to be explored.

Many components that you would choose aren't practical for amateur assembly, and once it's assembled, what kind of
  test equipment exists out there to help with verification, etc?

The SDR-Widget + UHD-SDR makes a pretty-good combination, and clearly has been assembled by amateurs. But if you want to move beyond that class of capability (greater bandwidth, etc), how "practical" is the result for amateur assembly?
  How practical for professional assembly with amateur-scale pricing?

All critical "up front" questions, to be sure.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator