[Discuss-gnuradio] E100 Suitability for Space Applications

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] E100 Suitability for Space Applications
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 10:56:42 -0500

Matt,

  I'm considering the E100 for use with GnuRadio/UHD
aboard a small spacecraft, and I have a few of questions:

1.  What's the power drain?  Watt-hours are always at a
    premium aboard a small spacecraft.

2.  Are there any vacuum-sensitive components?  For example,
    electrolytic capacitors are no good (they dry out or rupture)
    but tantalum's are ok.

3.  Is cooling an issue?  Air-cooled heatsinks don't work in
    vacuum, and have to be replaced with conduction cooling.

4.  Any Lithium batteries?  They are considered hazardous for
    space and require special provisions or removal.

5.  Without writing any FPGA or DSP code, what's the ballpark
    sample rate that the ARM can keep up with?

TIA for any answers you can give.