[Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple USRP1 and UHD

From: Chadwick, Andrew
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Multiple USRP1 and UHD
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 08:32:24 -0000

Hello list,

I have two USRP1s and four DBSRX2 daughterboards. I would like to synchronise the USRPs, to build a coherent, sample aligned, four channel receiver (inputs from four separate antennas). I had hoped I could do this by modifying and connecting the boards as described here:

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/1/USRPClockingNotes

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/1/MultiUsrp

And then modifying the usrp_multi code to work with UHD. If this approach works, it looks like I have to replace the lines (amongst others):

u1 = usrp.source_s (1, decim, nchan, gru.hexint(mux), mode,fpga_filename="multi_2rxhb_2tx.rbf" )

u0 = usrp.source_s (0, decim, nchan, gru.hexint(mux), mode,fpga_filename="multi_2rxhb_2tx.rbf" )

But, how do I set the mux and mode values if I replace these with instances of uhd.single_usrp_source? And is the multi_2rxhb_2tx.rbf image likely to work still with UHD? I'm pretty new to this so any pointers, or suggestions for a better approach, appreciated...

I'm also having problems with the UHD multi_usrp_source, trying to use this in GRC for some initial experiments with the boards unsynced. With Num Mboards = 2, device addresses of either “serial=XXXXXXXX, serial=YYYYYYYY” or “name=usrp_master, name=usrp_slave” (either way round) and the same subdev spec “A:0 B:0” for both, I can find the first board but not the second. Maybe Ive just got the syntax wrong or is there another problem?

  File "/home/ac2/grc/top_block.py", line 70, in <module>

    tb = top_block()

  File "/home/ac2/grc/top_block.py", line 40, in __init__

    self.uhd_multi_usrp_source_0.set_subdev_spec("A:0 B:0", 1)

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py", line 887, in set_subdev_spec

    return _uhd_swig.uhd_multi_usrp_source_sptr_set_subdev_spec(*args, **kwargs)

RuntimeError: vector::_M_range_check

With Num Mboards = 1, I get past this point but not much further:

thread[thread-per-block[0]: <gr_block uhd multi_usrp source (3)>]: cannot get this property

  in void usrp1_impl::mboard_get(const wax::obj&, wax::obj&)

  at /home/ac2/gnuradio-uhd/uhd/host/lib/usrp/usrp1/mboard_impl.cpp:329

What's going wrong here? Two separate single sources works fine. I’m using a fairly recent build, source downloaded from git on 3rd Jan, and Ubuntu 9.04 for what that’s worth.

Thanks,

Andy

--

Roke Manor Research Ltd, Romsey,
Hampshire, SO51 0ZN, United Kingdom

Part of the Chemring Group

Registered in England & Wales at:
Chemring Group PLC, Chemring House, 1500 Parkway,
Whiteley, Fareham, Hampshire PO15 7AF, ENGLAND.
Registered No: 267550

Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is
proprietary to Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any
third party without permission. This communication is for information
only and shall not create or change any contractual relationship.