[Discuss-gnuradio] How UHD, GNURadio and USRP are bound together.

From: Florian Eugen
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] How UHD, GNURadio and USRP are bound together.
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 03:17:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

   I read some documentation about USRP, UHD and GNURadio, but something is missing, an explanation of how they are bound together. Maybe the biggest problem is that I want to use it on Windows, maybe on Linux it would be much easyer. For not heaving to give me some long answers (only yes or no, a link  or maybe a few words if it's possible) I will ask few questions to see if I understood how does it work. I want to tell all af you that I don't need anybody to make my project (a research project) I only need a little help to start it, how to use these tools. Maybe these questions will bring some new informations to newbies like me. As I saw everything is made (firmwares - FPGA, FX2, GNURadio, now UHD - many peoples hard work), the only thing is needed is a good overall documentation on how to use these together.

1. I have to install UHD, GNURadio and UHD WinUSB driver. It says that I have to compile them, but I received from mr. Josh Blum these files http://www.joshknows.com/download/gnuradio_port/ (compiled UHD, GNURadio-Core, gnuradio-uhd, gnuradio-qtgui, and dependencies like Boost, cppunit, libfftw), very helpfull, thank you very much. What other dependencies do I have to install. I didn't found anywhere a list, what is needed and why.

2. I will have to give the PATHs, (which ones?. The first time I installed GNURadio I had many problems with those PATHs and this is why I couldn't use my USRP1, couldn't try examples.

3. If I will use the UHD it means that I will have to program the FPGA firmware with the help of the UHD functions? It is correct? I got the rbf files for the USRP1 and firmware for FX2 USB tranceiver. I found them here https://github.com/EttusResearch/UHD-Mirror/archives/master. Where should I copy them, where will the UHD look for it or I will have to give the path to the rbf files. The same question for the FX2 firmware, it's possible to change the program from the 8051 microcontroller in te same manner, with some functions fro UHD?

4. With the help of the UHD is made the data transfer, read samples from FPGA and set parameters (frequency and others). If I'm using MSVC I will be able to connect through the UHD to the USRP and read samples. If I have those samples, I have to do something to get out data from them so I will have to use some functions from gnuradio-core.dll (I checked functions exported fom this dll, and there are many interesting things - fir filers, fft filters). Is it correct?

5. So if I will make an interface in MSVC and I'll connect through the UHD to USRP, I could start to receive samples after I would set the required parameters for the FPGA (which type of board - WBX, frequency, decimation and so on). I will use this USRP1 only to transfer real time data at a very low data rate, I would be happy to transfer a package of data containing 3 bytes.

As I mentioned before I don't need anybody to make my project (to answer my questions all day long), I know how to make it but the problem is to get basic data how to use these software and hardware tool together, to see the right direction, how to use this tool (meaning what to install, where and why).

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Florian Eugen.