Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FUNCube dongle

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FUNCube dongle
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:46:21 +0100

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Patrik Tast <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anybody tried the FUNCube USB dongle?
> http://www.funcubedongle.com/
>
> How tricky would it be to add GNU Radio support for it?

Hi Patrik,

The FCD works as is with GNU Radio since it is an audio source. I used
GNU Radio for my initial tests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daY-fkMYN_M

Changing frequency can be done using the qthid control application.
The one on the website is known to crash and freeze. I have since
forked it and applied the necessary fixes to make it run stable. It is
available here: https://github.com/csete/qthid although not quite 100%
stable unless FCD is running the 18f firmware.
Once I'm done with this I will implement the remaining API for setting
gains and filters and eventually there will be a "libfcd" which can be
included in a GNU Radio block.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to create a GNU Radio block for this
since the FCD is already an audio source and a block is not necessary
for setting frequency and such. I guess it would still be useful for
using it in GRC applications.

Alex