Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bluetooth implementation frequency hopping restri

From: Michael Ossmann
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Bluetooth implementation frequency hopping restrictions
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 09:09:18 -0700

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 02:06:41PM +0100, Kresimir Dabcevic wrote:

> and I presume that it also supports working in a 4-bit mode, which
> should allow for a 100 MHz bandwidth, which should be sufficient?

Oh, and perhaps this goes without saying, but 4 bits of dynamic range is
extremely low for digital modulations.  If you just want to detect
transmissions, it should be sufficient, but, if you want to decode
Bluetooth packets, the likelihood of decoding errors would be very high.

You could operate with 100 MHz bandwidth at the full dynamic range of
the ADC if you do your demodulation on the FPGA.  This was a direction
Dominic and I thought about pursuing but never did.  You don't
necessarily have to implement packet decoding on the FPGA; you could
just channelize the waveform into 79 channels, demodulate each one into
a 1 Mbps stream, and dump them all over Ethernet to a host computer to
do the packet detection and decoding.