[Discuss-gnuradio] Compiler machine compatibility

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Compiler machine compatibility
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 12:29:04 -0400

I have some code that lives on top of Gnu Radio, and I think I'm having a code-generation issue with GCC. The binaries work on all my machines, but on a customers machine, it raises an Illegal Instruction exception. I generated the code on a 32-bit Intel Core machine, on Fedora 12. The code is executing on a Pentium-IV class machine, on a Fedora 12 installation. I gather than by default GCC will generate code that's optimized for the machine on which the compile is happening. How do distributors of binaries assure
  that the code will execute correctly on older-generation hardware?