Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help : Using another Hardware in gnuradio.

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Help : Using another Hardware in gnuradio.
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:48:37 -0400

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 1:27 AM, ton ph <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi everyone ,
    I think this is true that gnuradio is a general purpose signal processing framework , not only for USRP. Now i have a question regarding this , suppose i have a hardware in which
the hardware drivers are given in .vi [ labview ] or matlab compatible format . At this situation what i can i do, is I can make a share library .so format of my hardware interaction block and embed it
to my gnuradio core as like the usrp block.
So, what i want to ask is that , is the idea which i am thinking is alright or that ll not be possible. If not possible how can we solve such kind of situation.
Thanks in advance and any illogical question if mistaken from my side , I highly apologize for that.

Thanks.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying, possibly just due to lack of details. But in general, yes, if you can make a library hardware driver with an API to set the proper parameters and to get and send samples, then you can work with it in GNU Radio. You would probably want to write something like a "gr-<your_hw>" block that wraps your device driver library in a way that works with GNU Radio, much like how we have gr-usrp, gr-usrp2, and gr-uhd right now.

Tom