Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RF synchronized system

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] RF synchronized system
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 16:01:35 -0400

On 04/16/2011 03:46 PM, Khalid Jamil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to develop an multi-channel RF synchronized system using
> eight N210s with WBX. I distributed 10MHz reference to four systems
> and other four are slaved using MIMO cable.
>
> I have few questions:
>
> 1. Though, channels are synchronized, still they have a fixed phase
> offset between them. Is there a way to correct this? may be in DDC?
Since you're dealing with 8 independent PLL synthesizers, there will be
a random phase offset among
  all of them that will remain fixed during a given 'session'.  You
could perhaps correct this in
  the FPGA, but not, I think, using any of the "standard" features of
the existing FPGA code.

> 2. How can I obtain time-stamped samples in gnuradio-companion?

I don't think that's currently possible from within GRC.  But if you use
the C++ API you can
  arrange for that.

> 3. How can I store multiple channels in a single file in GRC?
I'd use the streams-to-vector block within GRC.

> 4. I am not using 1PPS reference at this time. Is it also important in
> this case.
If you want time-stamp synchronization, you need 1PPS input to provide for a
  synchronized starting point for timestamps.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium