Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building simple GUIs: Is wxPython still the recom

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Building simple GUIs: Is wxPython still the recommended method?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:15:35 -0400

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Joel Koltner <address@hidden> wrote:
I've been away from GNU Radio for a bit and wanted to ask... is wxPython (and
the included wrappers) still the recommended means of building simple GUIs?  Or
has it been supplanted by, e.g., "something Qt" or similar?

Thanks,
---Joel

This isn't a really clear-cut issue right now. I prefer the gr-qtgui (which uses Qt and QWT as well as their Python versions), but qtgui is still missing a few features that would really make it production-ready. I'm working in these things now, though. I find the Qt implementations to have a better look and feel than the Wx stuff, and the concept of signals and slots gives it a lot of power, which I am working on building more into the UI.

However, like I said, qtgui is still lacking in some areas and the wxgui interface is a bit more seasoned. It, too, is missing some features, I think.

My recommendation is to look at qtgui and see if it does what you want. It's easy to make qtgui apps now in GRC if you are working off the latest from Git.

Tom