Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Latest GIT on OpenSuse 11.4 x64 - PYTHONPATH

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Latest GIT on OpenSuse 11.4 x64 - PYTHONPATH
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 16:30:33 -0400

> Unfortunately, the Gnuradio "make install" Installer
> is a bit buggy. It distributes python libs between
> the lib64 and lib folders. Python cannot handle this chaos,
> even with both directories in PYTHONPATH.
>
> I solved it by creating a symlink before installing:
>
> ln -s /usr/local/lib64/python2.7/ /usr/local/lib/python2.7
>
> Apparently, Gnuradio is the only app that wrote to /usr/local/lib/python2.7,
> because this directory didn't exist before (pure 64 Bit operating system).
>
> After symlinking, the "make install" effectively writes all into
> a single destination and Python finds all dependencies.
>
> I never understood, why this Linux introduced the lib64 folders.
> Why not keeping the 64 Bit code in the lib standard location
> and put all legacy 32 bit code in lib32 folders?
> Do
Fedora also uses the /usr/local/lib64 thing for 64-bit platforms, but
the Gnu Radio installer
  works just fine on Fedora x86_64 platforms [at least F12 through F14,
which I've tested
  over the last year or two].

There must be *something* in the setup of a OpenSuse 64-bit system that
confuses "configure", since
  that's where, ultimately, the makefiles get their information from.

Or, perhaps "Fedora" and "x86_64" are special-cased in configure, and a
similar special case doesn't
  exist for OpenSuse?

Regardless, I suspect the answer lies in either "bootstrap" or
"configure" getting slightly confused on
  an OpenSuse system.

--
Principal Investigator
Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium