Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about E100

From: Elvis Dowson
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Questions about E100
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:06:24 +0400

Hi,

On Apr 28, 2011, at 10:40 PM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:

>> And finally - how about the performance? Does the box run X? Is it
>> powerful enough to run grc-created WX-stuff?
>>
> It's not a desktop-class platform by any stretch of the imagination.

The Overo platforms can run X11.

Here is a link to a getting started guide

http://www.gumstix.org/get-started/getting-started-guide.html

Here is a link on how to build a standard image for the Overo using the
OpenEmbedded system. Mind  you, this is not the GNU Radio specific one, I don't
have the E100, but I've worked on the Overo and OMAP35xx platform for 3 years
now.

What you can do is to merge the GNU Radio recipe, with something that you can
pick and choose from the X11 recipe in the standard open embedded distribution.

http://www.gumstix.org/software-development/open-embedded/61-using-the-open-embedded-build-system.html

Once you clone the overo-oe repository, under
overo-oe/org.openembedded.dev/recipes/images folder, you can find an
x11-image.bb recipe.

To build a root file system image, type the following command:

cd overo-oe
bitbake x11-image

This will create a tar file in the tmp/...something.../deploy folder

I should warn you, the learning curve for learning OE is steep, and you can
look at the Old Nabble lists for Gumstix Users on many common problems
encountered and solutions posted for this platform.

I think I took a whole year just to figure out the whole build system. You also
need a fast quad-core i7 system to build the images using OpenEmbedded. A core
2 duo system with 4GB RAM can take 20 hours for an omap3-console-image. A
quad-core i7 with 4GB RAM will do it in around 2.5 hours. I use Ubuntu 10.04
running on a Virtual Machine on top of Mac OS X, for all this work.

Elvis Dowson