Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs

From: Ed Criscuolo
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GR 3.5.1 release tarball bugs
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:53:57 -0500

On 1/11/12 4:59 PM, Josh Blum wrote:
I dont think this is a tarball of the source tree. Rather, its a tarball
produced by autotools with only files listed by makefile.ams or
generated in autotools.

But what of the future? If autotools goes away in favor of cmake, does
this mean that tarballs will go away too?  I hope not, as a tarball is
the preferred way of installation on a number of the machines that I use
because they are in isolated labs and are not allowed to be connected
to the internet.

Technically, that seems to be the correct thing to do for pc files. But
the side effect seems to be that package config complains when it cant
find a pc file for the "Requires.private" entries. But you shouldnt
actually need the development libraries required by uhd to be installed
to develop against uhd.

I'm happy to not have UHD populate Requires.private if its just trouble.
In anycase, this probably isnt an issue with the gr tarball. A good test
of that might be to uninstall the libusb-1.0 dev and see if pkg-config
uhd --libs gives the same error. That way we can tell if auto* is doing
something different with pkg-config or not.

I don't know about this pkg-config behavior, as I installed UHD release
3.3.2 from the prebuilt binary package for Ubuntu.

And just as a side note (I know this should really go on the ettus
list),  the aforementioned UHD binary Ubuntu package did not unpack the
images subdirectory properly.  All that was there was the .tar.gz and
.zip files.  I had to manually gunzip/untar and move all the image
files to the proper locations by hand.