Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] installing GR 3.5.2 on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:24:10 -0800

> I still do not understand the logic. If uhd_find_devices is there to
> find devices, it seems that it should identify any device it understands
> and tell the user it's status. Instead, if it finds a USRP1, it looks for
> the firmware and errors off if it is not found. The USRP1 may be loaded
> with the older stuff but the message says No device found. What is
> uhd_find_devices for?

Well the original intention of the uhd_find_devices was just to spit
errors. Its purely accidental that it prints discovered devices. :-)

We are trying to determine if the re-enumeration delay is longer than
the software expects on freebsd. Do you mind trying the sleep patch to
prove/disprove this idea?

> The program that loads firmware should be able to determine if it needs
> to be loaded, load it, and check to see if it is okay. Then the same
> with the fpga load. Can that info be read from the USRP1?

Recall the hash discussion...thats exactly what the software does.
Firmware and FPGA images are loaded automatically. The user does not
need to worry about it.

Does anyone mind moving this discussion over to usrp-users since its
about the intricacies of fw loading and not about the orginal subject?

-Josh